Importance of Teaching Personal Hygiene
June 22, 2021
What one learns as a child easily becomes a habit for life. And these habits become such a natural part of your daily lives, that they are like reflex action for certain situations. When it comes to personal hygiene it is quite obvious that this needs to be a part of your natural behaviour. In fact if someone disregards the importance of personal hygiene in our lives for a moment, and looks at the current state of global pandemic, what is the best medicine we prescribe – a mask and healthy personal cleanliness habits. So, if a deadly virus like covid can be kept at bay with proper use of mask and sanitisers, it goes without saying that we now have realised the power or significance of personal hygiene more than ever before.
Kids need special care during their growing years, in learning a lot of essential life skills other than academic knowledge. The need to teach them lessons of personal hygiene is manifold. Let us take a quick look at some of them:
- We keep telling ourselves – cleanliness is next to godliness. And if staying clean and neat is so divine, it naturally makes sense to imbibe such a habit in childhood. From a tender age, if kids get used to the practice of staying clean, it makes them a better person in their future lives.
- It is human nature that we tend to believe or trust a person who looks organised, neat and presentable. So, a person with a good sense of personal hygiene appears organised, fresh and smells good. These are all that people around would appreciate and will be more receptive to the person as a member of their group.
- Personal hygiene keeps one away from a whole lot of diseases which are under discussion. So, in order to stay healthy, personal cleanliness and grooming must be an integral part of our lives. And kids who play and experiment with things that they find around them, are likely to pick up more dust and dirt than one can imagine. Thus, teaching them to properly wash their hands or not to put dirty hands in their mouth, nose or eyes are great habits that can keep them protected from diseases.
- Kids are encouraged to socialise with others of their age group. In order to gain acceptance in their peer group and be a welcome member, observing a specific level of cleanliness is essential. Kids with poor sense of personal hygiene may not be accepted in the friends’ playgroup and may be left alone.
- The way a kid interacts and carries himself, speaks immensely about the upbringing and the schooling ambience he is into. It reveals a lot about the background he hails. No parent will like their child to play with another kid of the same age group with a dirty dress or oily, unclean hair! So how your kid carries himself speaks about you as a parent.
So as there is no disputing the fact that healthy personal hygiene not only helps a person avoid diseases on self, it also ensures that the person keeps the environment clean and fresh. When we are so strongly advocating personal hygiene, it is a natural conclusion that it can best be imbibed if started early in life. And when is the earliest you can get along with it? …Well… when it is taught to a child. Children learn fast and whatever you teach them is like a permanent impression on their minds. Teach your child to practice healthy personal hygiene – to stay healthy, fresh and feel more confident in whatever they do.